Proper care of these batteries ensures they last longer, so you don’t need to replace them as often.
Here are some tips that can help you extend the life span of your deep-cycle batteries:
• If your batteries are new, ensure you charge them thoroughly before using them for the first time.
• To get the best performance out of your deep cycle batteries, ensure the cables are intact and the connectors are tight. Also, use insulated tools to avoid shorting the battery terminals when working on the battery.
• Clean your deep cycle batteries frequently and ensure no dirt on them.
• Do not discharge your battery if it exceeds 80% of its rated capacity. Taking care when discharging it will help extend its lifespan.
• Before you charge the batteries, ensure they have been watered. If the plates are exposed, they should be covered with 1/8” of acid. Make sure to check the acid levels after charging the batteries.
• Long periods of inactivity can cause harm to your batteries, especially if they are lead-acid batteries. If you know, you will not be using your cart for some time:
• Remove the battery once it has been ultimately charged.
• Make sure that you have removed all electrical connections from the batteries. This should include series and parallel connectors.
• The battery should be stored in a cool area not below 32 degrees Fahrenheit.